Thursday, February 12, 2015

Style Academy - Phrases and Clauses Exercieses

Honestly, I keep forgetting that we have to physically hand in the Style Academy reviews, and I feel really bad for it, but I will 100% do it this next time...
It's as simple as that. 

I watched the video about Phrases and Clauses, and I am going to have to say, this is one of the less-helpful videos on this site. The information given was simple and understandable, but I think it was a little to simple. I feel like they could have fit more information into it, and a bit more of a writing exercise. Maybe the difference between clauses and phrases really is that simple.

Or, maybe the reason they focused on so little within the video, is because a lot of people still struggle with the concept. I was second guessing myself on some of the exercise sentences, though came out with the right answer in the end, and I think it will help me to think about clauses and phrases when rereading my papers. 

Still, I feel the whole video can be summed up in this one screen shot, and next time I will try to pick a more in-depth one (and remember to turn it in in class...)

Exercise:
Is it a Phrase or a Clause?

"on the front porch"
-phrase (prepositional phrase)

"after the dinner party"
-phrase 

"we ate peas and carrots"
-clause (independent)

"after running to the store"
-phrase 

1 comment:

  1. I think she wanted us to print the style academy off and hand it in for class today.

    ReplyDelete