Thursday, February 5, 2015

The REAL Reflection on the OP ED

If you want to read my OP ED paper, it is written out in one of the earlier posts!

I believe one of the strongest tactics I used in my Opinion Editorial paper was pathos. I tried hard to connect with the readers emotions to help them understand my point. I shared specific examples of situations that occur on social media in an attempt to show the reader things they have done before, and how it is really effecting them. As an example, I explained how we might try to connect with a celebrity for many sorts of reasons, but then went on to explain why those reasons may not be valid. I was able to guide the reader to my point by connecting them with something they already knew.  I used language to paint pictures and metaphors that hopefully made the audience think about social media in away they had not really put into words before.

The tactic I used the least was probably logos. Being an Opinion Editorial, I did incorporate any facts, but mostly observations and description that followed a logical thought process. I made sure to flush out my points, so the audience would not think I was jumping to any conclusions. At times, I feared I may have used too much generalization, but think the reasons fit well this the intended audience. I think the issue of the paper was very relevant and easy to understand. I also think I was able to go into many different aspects of the issue to give more evidence as to why social media can be, and is in fact, a problem. 

I think I also used ethos quite well in this paper, but that may be up for debate depending on how you think about it. I tried to establish my credibility on the subject by showing that I have had some not-so positive experience with social media. However, I tried to maintain an authoritative voice by stating that I was able to see the flaws in these experiences, and use them to learn. However, some may take my “on your side” kind of writing stance as discrediting, because I am not completely separate from the problem. They may think I was too influenced by the issue to write an effective argument.

1 comment:

  1. I felt like my Op Ed was really strong in pathos as well. Do you think that's a good thing? I can't decide. : / I'm just not sure if it's best to have pathos be the strongest force. :) Yours turned out really well, though, so that gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete