Monday, February 2, 2015

Reflection on the OP ED

What writing strategies worked for me?
Well, I started by outlining all my ideas in bullet points and that was really nice. It helped me recall my ideas at a glance. Instead of needing to come up with new ideas as I wrote, I was able to focus on connecting my existing ideas with the thesis.
Also, I think I did pretty well with connecting with the audience...at least, I think I did well, it up for you to decide when you read it. But, I put in a few personal experiences, and made sure I sounded like a friendly, non-condisending author - because those are the kind that always drive me away.

What writing strategies did not work for me?
Um, I think I struggled with making my point right away. I always tend to over explain things, just so I know my reader knows exactly why I think the way I do. I know that is important, but I aways seem to do it in twice as many words that what I actually needed. I am probably doing it right now, just so you can understand what I mean when I say I write too much. I have not finished the last two paragraphs on the OP ED yet, but it might end up being 6 pages . . .

What were my experiences writing this OP ED?
Honestly, I think I had a good experience writing this paper - as far as writing papers goings. I did not have to research anything, which is always a plus. But more importantly, I was able to express myself in my own words. The topic I picked ended up being a lot more substantial than I was originally intending, and it made it very fun to write about. Even after I finished the first draft and turned it in, when the reviewers told me to expand an idea, I was surprised to find out I did have more to say before moving onto the next idea. Granted, I had a bit too much to say, and hopefully everything that made it into the paper is still relevant to this thesis, and not some shoot-off idea.

2 comments:

  1. There was definitely less research involved, and that was really nice. I'm interested in reading your paper now from reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the points you brought because I was pretty similar. It was hard to express exactly what I wanted to say and get to the point because there was a lot I could say on it. However you do find that as you write it just becomes easier to expand and share your feelings. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete